All three PhD employees of Dr. Westmeier GmbH are active participants in various Research projects in the following fields:
- High-energy nuclear reactions
- Applications of nuclear spectrometry in environmental assay
- Development of software for high-precision spectrum analysis
- Development of new algorithms for spectrum analysis
- Analytical techniques in nuclear chemistry and physics
- Applications in nuclear medicine
- Spontaneous fission and spallation
- Analysis of statistical data
- Elimination of long-lived nuclear material through transmutation
- Compilation and evaluation of nuclear decay data
These scientific activities mostly serve for the improvement of Dr. Westmeier GmbH offerings and service. Some topics are purely basic research; we engage in this work because we are convinced that there is scientific, economic and social necessity to develop certain technologies further.
Relevant results of our research and developments are published in peer-reviewed journals or they are part of our softwares for high-precision analysis of spectra.
The section „Training″ informs about our offerings of education and „hands-on″ training in all topics of nuclear spectrometry, nuclear instrumentation and nuclear measuring techniques. Our employees have over 25 years of training-experience being “experts” for International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA, Vienna) covering topics such as:
- Alpha-particle spectrometry (hardware and software)
- Gamma-ray spectrometry (hardware and software)
- Applications of nuclear methods and instruments
- Nuclear safety
- Statistical data analysis
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Nuclear electronics
- Radiation detectors (in particular: semiconductor and scintillation detectors)
IAEA expert activities are focussed on national, regional, interregional or international training courses as well as Workshops, Expert Missions, Advisory Group Meetings, Consultant’s Meetings and Research Coordination Meetings. Dr. Westmeier GmbH has built up a great network of contacts and experience through these IAEA activities.
The section „Uranium glass″ is a short presentation on the beauty of uranium glass; it may serve for your relaxation.
Note: Uranium glass is an article of every day use with low uranium content. The U-oxide stains the glass (or enamel coating) yielding a light green, yellow-green, light blue, redish or red-brown colour in daylight. The real beauty of uranium glass comes to light when it is irradiated with ultraviolet light (“black light”); UV light gives an unreal, bright fluorescence to the glass – is seems very unreal!
Neither uranium oxide nor its progeny can escape from the glass structure, so uranium glass is good for daily use, even together with foodstuff or as drinking glass. Nevertheless one should always keep in mind that the ALARA principle applies (As Low As Reasonably Achievable): try to keep the additional dose as low as possible! When one measures the doserate around very large collections of uranium glass one can detect a very slight enhancement of the radiation level.